Friday, January 16, 2009

C's birthday cake

So I had this fabulous idea of making a cake small in diameter, but rather tall. I baked 3 6-inch diameter cake layers, and cut each in half to make 6 layers total. I've seen cakes like this in restaurants, how hard can it be? (insert maniacal laughter here).
I didn't have much else on my to-do list yesterday, and figured it wouldn't be too difficult. I was sadly mistaken.
Below is a picture of the "good side" of the cake.

Even the good side isn't so good.
Unfortunately, once the layers were piled high and frosted, the side of the cake sort of... slipped.
I ended up with a Dr. Suess cake on acid- "the cake was small, the cake was tall; the cake couldn't stand straight at all!"

Note the look of sheer disbelief (albeit amused disbelief) that this was his birthday cake:


Chris, ever loyal, proclaimed that it looked "fine" and that "no one else would have a cake just like it!" Um, yeah.
Even if it was funny-looking, it must have tasted pretty good...


Later that evening, Kristi came over to babysit. Baby was already asleep and Nolia was very excited to have Kristi all to herself. She rushed us out the door, "Mama, Daddy- go!" I thought, how nice that she loves Kristi so much that she feels no sadness in our leaving for a few hours. Ha! We'd gotten two blocks away from the house when Kristi calls my cell phone. Magnolia is asking to watch Mama Mia and tells Kristi that we've said it's okay. This (rightly) sounds rather suspicious to Kristi (as it was already 8pm at night), so she called to verify. The little rat wanted us out of the house so she could get a quick start on her movie extravaganza.
So Chris & I splurge on a supper out, then meet up with Christine & John at The Top, where they've been celebrating John's birthday. From there we go to Durty Nelly's for a bit. I think this was the first bar-hopping I've done in about a decade. It's probably a bit sad that a lot of the conversation centered around how we were among the oldest groups in the bar. Apparently this is not the case for 30-somethings in Atlanta, but in a university town... well, once the table of 3 50-something men left the building, let's just say the age range suddenly shrank, leaving us in the upper portion.
Oh, well.
It was still lovely to stand around chatting for a good long time, drinking beer (everyone else) and hard cider (me). Even if I did have to immediately take a shower once home to rinse the stink of cigarettes from my hair.


3 comments:

PrayerLifeco said...

Have you ever thought of quitting your PA job to do wedding cakes? Just a thought ;)

juliannabelle said...

Trust me, my artistic skills lie more in the areas of laceration repair and splinting...
I aim for baking skill, just don't always reach my goal!
;-)

The Colbert Crew said...

very cute.... I love the cake...those kind of things make memories... you are a great writer too. Love ya Dana